Brusly High School

brusly-high1

Marker Name: Original Brusly High School
Marker Dedicated: November 11, 2002, during “A Day of Remembrance” ceremonies held in Brusly and Port Allen
Marker Location: Brusly Middle School campus; 601 N. Kirkland; Brusly, LA 70719

Marker Text: First West Baton Rouge Parish public high school. Built in 1911 for grades 1-11 to serve students in area from Beaulieu to Chenango Plantations. WPA program completed the gym & adjacent building in 1938. Original school constructed under the administration of J.H. Bres, West Baton Rouge School Superintendent from 1908-1948. Two story wooden school demolished in 1950 and now exists only in pictures and student memories.
Background: The old high school, located at the site of the current middle school along River Road, was opened in 1911. It was a two-story wooden building that served the area under the then-new parish School Board before being town down in 1950. Much of the information concerning the original school was uncovered during the planning of the Brusly Centennial, held in October 2001.
Superintendent of West Baton Rouge Schools, Beverly Triche, was the speaker during this special ceremony held on the school grounds. Members of the 1st Brusly High School graduating class attended.
For more information on Brusly, read Brusly 1901 – 2001 A Place to Call Home; by Pamela Folse, Editor. Available at the West Baton Rouge Parish Library or for purchase at the Town of Brusly City Hall, (225) 749-2909
For more information:
• Brusly 1901 – 2001 A Place to Call Home; by Pamela Folse, Editor.
• West Side Journal, June 27, 2002
• Along the River Road by Mary Ann Sternberg, page 204
• Chronicles of West Baton Rouge by Elizabeth Kellough and Leona Mayeux, 1979, pages 209-220
• Program dedication November 11, 2002
• State Historic marker files at the West Baton Rouge Museum
• Reference files at the West Baton Rouge Museum and Library