Marker Name: Historic Cinclare Plantation
Marker Dedicated: April 23, 1998
Marker Sponsor: The Laws Corporation
Marker Location: in front of Cinclare Plantation; Hwy 1 and Terrill Road; North Brusly, LA 70719
Marker Text: Formerly Marengo Plantation, Cinclare was purchased by James H. Laws in 1878. With its own currency, work animals, plantation store, staff housing, and railroad, it was a self-sufficient sugar mill “company town”.
Background: Cinclare Plantation is located north of the town of Brusly. Once a thriving “company town”, Cinclare is currently the last remaining producing sugar mill in West Baton Rouge Parish. The entiresugar mill complex was placed on The National Register of Historic Places on April 23, 1998, for its significance in industry and agriculture. It is a historic district, which consists of 46 buildings and 2 structures. The complex has a “big house”, sugar mill, many housing structures ranging in dates from circa 1855 to circa 1945, and a one-of-a-kind mule barn.
For more information:
• Brusly 1901 – 2001 A Place to Call Home; by Pamela Folse, Editor.
• Along the River Road by Mary Ann Sternberg, pages 202, 203-204, 207
• Chronicles of West Baton Rouge by Elizabeth Kellough and Leona Mayeux, 1979, pages 21-22
• National Register of Historic Places nomination (Cinclare Sugar Mill Historic District)
• State Historic marker files at the West Baton Rouge Museum
• Reference files at the West Baton Rouge Museum and Library