“A water fountain is the only remaining part of the German Prisoner of War Camp which was located in Port Allen from 1943 until mid-1946,” announced Arlen Landry, chairman of the Historic Preservation Committee for the West Baton Rouge Historical Association. “The camp housed German prisoners of war ranging in age from 19 to 52 years of age. The prisoners were used on the local plantations due to the shortage of farm labor,” Landry continued.
Citizens are invited to participate in the dedication and join West Baton Rouge Historical Association members for refreshments at the American Legion Hall following the program. This is the 24th Louisiana Historical Marker in West Baton Rouge Parish.