St. Mary's A.M.E. Church was founded on September 16, 1888 and erected in 1889. August Levert, plantation owner, donated a tract of land to Albert Henderson to build a church under the doctrines of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Under the leadership of Rev. Lawerence Estavan, the church was built on the River Road within a year and was used by sugar cane field workers for worship. A new church in Addis was constructed and completed on December 12, 1993.